INK: Skryf in Afrikaans
In 2016, Ronel won the award for Fiction Writer of the Year.
In 2017, she was runner-up for Fiction Writer of the Year, one of her stories came second as Story of the Year, and she won the third writing competition.
In 2018, she won the award for Fiction Writer of the Year yet again.
Two of her stories appeared in the 2017 INK anthology Inkspraak: Hoop op Oukersaand & Saphira en die Toorlied.
The following stories had placed in or won competitions on INK:
- Syns vir die Najaarsblomme (Tithe for the Autumn Flowers) won the July 2016 Najaarsblomme (Autumn Flowers) competition.
- Die Beskermer placed third in January 2017’s open competition.
- Net reg (Just Right) won the May 2017 Mother’s Day Flash Fiction competition. It was also the runner-up for story of the year.
- Die Donker Muse won the July 2017 open competition.
- Die Veldmuis won the September 2017 Spring competition.
- Die Blou Fees won the October 2017 Festival competition.
- Brose Baba won the May 2018 Mothers competition.
- Rook en Kersiebloeisels was the runner-up in the August 2018 Story in the Far East competition.
- Plastiek Woorde was the runner-up in the November 2018 Town/City competition.
- Drake Vlug was the runner-up in the December 2018 Sport competition.
- Griffioene vir die Wen was the second runner-up in the December 2018 Sport competition.
Cracked Flash Fiction Competition
After winning several competitions, Ronel became a judge for CFFC (2017).
The following stories had won on CFFC:
- Dragon Flight won (Y1W41, The dragon was too slow.)
- Blood Dawn honourable mention (Y1W44, The sword fell out of her hand. It was over.)
- Misty Knives honourable mention (Y1W45, I think I preferred your old hobby.)
- Awakening won (Y1W46, It began with a whisper.)
- Supremacy won (Y2W8, I don’t want to be worshipped – I want to terrify!)
- Idiocy honourable mention (Y2W25, Try a different one.)
- Purple Sparks won (Y2W28, You can’t bring that on board.)
All of these stories have found their way into her two flash fiction collections: Twisted Tales & Tattered Tales.
In 2015, three of her poems were accepted and published in the charity anthology Brose Genade: Vir Ewig en Vir Altyd, Dwaallig & Skadu in die Skemer.
In 2015, she was a runner-up in the South African Writers’ Circle Annual Short Story Competition with her story Max.
In 2017, two of her stories were accepted and published in Cinderella Reimagined: Just Deserts & Lights.
In 2017, a story was accepted and published in The Clarion Call 3 Unbound: Black Moon.
In 2018, a story was accepted and published in The Clarion Call 4 FairyTale Riot: The Inn.
In 2019, a story was accepted and published in Grumpy Old Gods Vol.1: Breaking the Habit.
*You can find all of Ronel’s published works on her Books page.