It’s the first Wednesday of the month!
I would like to start out this post by thanking everyone who had participated in my July book promotion either via blog posts or reviews.
- Sandra Cox: Magic at Midnight (review)
- Jacqui Murray: Great Fantasy Books from Indie Authors (review)
- Juneta Key: Magical Pegasi (guest post and review)
- Sadira Stone: Guest Author Ronel Janse van Vuuren on Love Triangles (guest post)
- Louise Brady: Dragonspire Book Corner: Magic at Midnight! #YAFantasy #BookReview
- Natalie Aguirre: Follower News
Wonderful efriend Sandra Cox has mentioned adding reviews to BookBub. It sparked my interest and I checked it out. Are you on BookBub? I’ve recently created my author profile there. Add your link in the comments! Remember to claim your author profile – it is another great way to brand yourself.
My insecurity this month? My to-do list. I know, I know. It can be changed. It doesn’t have to be life-or-death. But it is so perfectly planned! I just have to stick to it. Can I, though? There are so many distractions – especially shiny new stories that want to be written. I’ve hidden them in my sewing closet: out of sight, out of mind.
Oh, I needed to replace my keyboard. It seems that I overworked the poor thing in the eighteen months I’ve had it and the keys started to get stuck and some stopped working. LOL. When I asked my tech guy if he could fix it, he took one look at it and pulled a new keyboard (brand new, still in the box!) from a shelf and told me to be gentle with this one.
IWSG August question: Has your writing ever taken you by surprise? For example, a positive or belated response to a submission you’ve forgotten about or an ending you never saw coming?
Constantly! If I’ve done my worldbuilding and characterisation properly, I can use the vague roadmap I’ve plotted and just write. In a recent story, the characters weren’t even where I thought they were! And it enriched the story in ways that by just plotting it, wouldn’t have happened. It makes for fun writing 🙂
One of my stories got accepted to an anthology! It’s available for pre-order on Amazon. Publication date: August 9th.
The Grumpy Old Gods are back in this second installment of mythical fun. Join us for 13 new tales of deities that are retired, reborn, waning or AWOL from their assigned posts as they hilariously navigate life, death, and everything in between.
If you would like to read an ARC and leave a review on Amazon, please fill in the form below and I’ll send you your copy!
So, the burning questions…
I attend a lot of webinars, listen to loads of podcasts, and watch video series about writing/business/etc. to make the most out of my writing career. I also read a lot of blogs and books.
- Some insist that without a powerful email list, you have no career. Some say that an email list doesn’t matter.
- Some insist that you must blog or you won’t have an audience. Some say that blogging is irrelevant.
- Some insist that you need to be on Facebook and use Facebook ads or you will be invisible forever. Others say that Facebook – and other social media – isn’t as important as feeling comfortable on whichever social media platform you use.
- Some insist that only paid ads (Facebook and Amazon) can sell books. Others say only guest posts and interviews will sell books.
- Some insist that if you DIY everything and have no VA (virtual assistant), that you will be the unpaid intern forever and never become a digital CEO. Others have no opinion on the matter.
- Some say that you should just ignore everyone and write – then do a big launch once a year. Others talk about balancing everything…
What are your thoughts on these issues? Some days I absolutely enjoy my work and other days it feels like I really am an unpaid intern… How do you balance your work?
Thanks so much for dropping by. Are you on BookBub? Do you want a free book to review? Please answer my burning questions!
Sign up for my newsletter and receive a free ebook. I won’t share your information and I’ll only email you once a month with updates on new releases, special offers, and a bit of news.